system design | ERP implementation | 3PL | shipping & logistics
Role mission and purpose:
The mission of the Head of Shipping and Logistics is to ensure that at all times we have the right amount of inventory at the right places, at the right times, at the right prices, and that we’re shipping our products out accordingly.
He/she should do so by:
- Designing and setting up a robust set of scalable systems and processes
- Maintaining excellent communication and coordination across internal and external stakeholders (production, wholesale, marketing, finance, freight forwarders, and customers)
- Leading and managing the shipping & logistics team effectively
Key outcomes expected from this role:
- Support the topline growth of the company via excellent management of inventory, shipping, and logistics
- Our wholesalers experience the ordering and receiving of goods as seamless and friction free as possible. They give us an A grade for shipping and logistics.
- Our inventory score on Amazon is always above 500.
- We never stock out of our top 5 SKUs on our website for the US, UK, and EU.
- Bottom line is that lack of inventory should never be the limiting factor for our growth.
- Support the development of the Lumos brand by
- Ensuring that website orders are fulfilled quickly and accurately
- Ensuring that the package customers receive is high quality and looks and feels good
- Ensuring that the returns system is as smooth as possible
- Support the bottom line growth of the company via excellent management of inventory, shipping, and logistics
- Set up and maintain our Enterprise Resource Planning inventory management system so that:
- We have an easy and clear way to always know exactly how much of what inventory, raw materials, and WIP we have at any given time in real time.
- We can make good decisions as to how much of what SKU to make for each production run and not have to risk having too much inventory at any given time.
- We are accurately tracking our inventory, raw materials, and WIP so that we never have to worry about “lost” goods.
- Minimal use of airfreight (< 5% of inventory and freighted over via airfreight)
- Managing our partners and suppliers to ensure that we’re getting competitive rates for all freight, warehousing, and shipping.
- Deliver all products to Kickstarter and Indiegogo backers as quickly, accurately, and economically as possible.
- Lead and manage the operations team
- Ensure that everyone on the operations team is productively deployed to make all the above happen.
- Ensure that they have all the tools, resources, and knowledge necessary to do their jobs.
Note that given the very early stage of the company that we are in, a high degree of adaptability is expected and required for this role. We are constantly learning new things and adapting our strategy and activities accordingly. Indeed, we see this as one of our key competitive advantages over the incumbents as it will allow us to try many more things and move much quicker than our competitors.
As such we expect this person to only look at this job description as a guideline. With just a handful of people in our company, we eschew roles and seek people willing and able to ignore job descriptions. Everyone’s job at Lumos is to do anything and everything we can to make it a success and meet our company goals regardless of our “jobs.”
Key skills and competencies we’re looking for:
- You have experience successfully running and managing shipping and logistics for a medium sized company/brand shipping goods internationally
- 6+ years of experience in shipping and logistics, preferably in consumer electronics products, and preferably with experience working with 3PLs
- ~50 - 100 SKUs shipping from China via sea and air freight to the US, UK, Europe and elsewhere around the world
- Setting up, running, and maintaining an inventory management system and/or ERP
- Managing a set of 3PLs in international locations
- Working with/managing freight forwarders to ship product quickly and efficiently
- Ability to “work smart” by designing and implementing scalable processes that leverage technology and automation to address our needs (as opposed to additional manual labor and checks and balances)
- Creative and determined mindset and attitude. You seek to understand the root cause of a problem, and solve that problem. You don’t get stuck on the day to day “busywork” and have an ability to identify and address the true problem.
- Very strong attention to detail + Highly organized and process oriented
- You are HIGHLY organized by nature. This shows in both your professional and personal life.
- You are sharp and not forgetful, and you make sure you’ve got all the details on something right before passing it along to the next stage/person.
- Management and leadership skills
- Ability to manage and lead the shipping and logistics team effectively
- Requirement: Ability to speak and write in both the english and chinese language (necessary to communicate with shippers and freight forwarders and suppliers in China and the region)
- Highly independent
- You’re coachable. You seek and listen to feedback.
- Passion for bikes and/or startups and entrepreneurship a big plus
- Willingness and ability to travel to China once/quarter (post-pandemic of course)
Please submit your Resume/CV along with a statement of interest/cover letter.
Sports and Outdoors
OVERVIEWLumos is the world's first smart bicycle helmet with integrated lights, brake, and turn signals. Launched to the world on Kickstarter in 2015, Lumos raised over $800,000 in its campaign. Lumos is a mission-driven company. Started out of our dorm rooms at Harvard, we seek to make a positive impact on the world by helping make cycling safer, preventing avoidable traffic deaths, and helping more people everywhere make cycling a bigger part of their everyday lives. Join us in our mission to improve cycling safety and have safer streets for all.
Lumos's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transportation.
Lumos value qualities, skills, behaviors, attitudes, and attributes of our employees, we hire and promote people who demonstrate these values. By so doing, the intention is to inspire more of those behaviors, and create a self-reinforcing culture.