Business Development | Customer Service | Marketing | Others
Swimming abilities | Presentation skills | English proficiency | Fishing proficiency
You'll be guiding kayak fishing trip around Singapore. We bring both local and foreigner for our kayak fishing trips.
The job is extremely flexible, you can retain a full time or part time job and join us as a freelance guide. There is no minimum commitment to the job, just let us know your schedule or how many trips you'll like to guide and we'll plan accordingly.
- Pay: Make more than double what an average Singapore tourist guide makes in a day.
- Team: Work with a great young team that’s equally passionately about having a great time and exceeding the expectations of our guests.
- Free Kayak: Free access to any of our Hobie kayaks and equipment anytime! Grab our sailing kayaks or tandem kayaks and go for spin!
- Training: We will train you to be a kayak fishing tour guide and an expert at using the Hummingbird fish finder.
- Career: If you choose to take the (Singapore Tourism Board) STB professional tour guiding license (optional), We’ll sponsor 100% of the fees!
- Location: The ocean is now your office! We fish in places like Sentosa, East Coast and Pulau Ubin.
"Experience the most thrilling way to catch a fish in Singapore. Rocket through the water on the leg-powered Hobie fishing kayak to the best fishing locations in Singapore.
Whether you’re a complete novice or a seasoned angler, we’ll have a trip that’s perfect for you!
You can learn everything you need to know about kayak fishing on the gentle waves of East Coast or island-hop from Sentosa to the Southern Islands, home of Singapore’s richest reefs and unspoilt beaches.
Just bring your hat and sunblock, we've got everything else covered!"
Role: Kayak Fishing Guide
- Perform the safety checklist to determine the sea worthiness of all fishing kayaks
- Conduct safety briefing using the safety checklist
- Determine if the weather is suitable for fishing before the trip and seek immediate shelter if weather turns hazardous.
- Be confident in kayak capsize and rescue techniques
- Never do anything that will compromise the safety of you and your guests
2. Problem solving skills on the water
- Confidently handle any situation out at sea, be it minor to major problems. Your guests will only look to you for help and reassurance
- Recognising an emergency and handle it according to training.
- Know the principles of performing a rescue on water
- Handle any unforeseen situation
3. Certified First Aid trained
- Get certified or renew your Basic First Aid license.
- Perform nautical first aid, I.e hooks, cuts, seasickness.
4. Kayak Maintenance
- Know how to set up a kayak according to the kayak fishing set-up check list
- Know how to fix mechanical problems of the kayak, I.e Replacing Rudder line, Broken Rudder pin.
- Ensure that all equipment are washed with fresh water before storage
5. Create an excellent kayak fishing experience
- Ensure that your guest has the best chance of catching a fishing with the right bait, right fishing technique and spending most of the time on high probability fishing spots.
- (instructor)Teach and share your kayak fishing knowledge to ensure that your guest are competent kayak fisherman at the end of the trip
- Create an experience that involves other aspects like swimming, island hopping, fish preparation demonstration, wonderful commentary about the surroundings and story telling
- Provide a ridiculously high level of customer service, maintain a minimum 4.5 star rating on 3rd part review sites.
- Understand the concept of peak end experience and ensure that your guest always ends the day on a high note. (final fish, jumping into the water, celebration beer, a free gift or whatever else you can think of)
6. A Professional Tour Guide
- A comprehensive product knowledge of Singapore. (City, Islands, sea, vessel, Wildlife, Marine life, marine parks, economy and more..)
- Share personal stories about fishing and about Singapore.
- Be their local friend, encourage conversation by making them do at least 50% of the talking
- Give insights into Singapore that only a local expert would know
- You are encourage to take the specialised licensed nature tour guide licensed offered by Singapore Tourism Board
7. Complete and pass the full fishing guide training programme
- After completing the course, you can begin leading kayak fishing trip on your own.
8. Fishing skills and sea knowledge
- Know how to tie and set up simple and easy to change fishing rigs
- Master the techniques of kayak fishing, bottom fishing, anchor fishing, and drift fishing
- Know your fish: common and uncommon fish identification.
- An Expert at using the humming bird fish finder I.e Finding new fishing location, reading sonar charts, chirp imaging and side scan. Marking down fishing spots
- Know the changing of tides and how is affects the currents. (route planning)
9. Physical fitness
- Maintain peak physical fitness: Based on SwimSafer Gold Standard, 100m front crawl, 100m breaststroke, 100m backstroke, 50m survival backstroke, 50m side stroke.
- Or a minimum of Silver based on the new IPPT system, push-up, sit-ups and running
10. Photography Skills
- Understand the basic of photo composition.
- Use the photos to tell a story of the kayak fishing trip
- Capture the highlights and candid moments of the trip
- Take a variety of shots from zoom, super zoom, wide angle, giant fish, close up, medium frame, expression of joy, landscape
- You have the optional choice of learning Adobe Lightroom editing,
- English language: An ‘O’ level English language proficiency
- Passion: You have to love fishing (no kayak fishing experience needed)
- Personality: A warm personality which puts people at ease.
- Guide: You’re very comfortable talking to a small group of people.
- Swim: You are confident swimming in the open ocean.