We're rapidly scaling our venture and innovation initiatives across Asia, and we need a marketing superstar who can keep up with our growth at breakneck speed. This role is one of limitless possibilities, where you're welcome to think and operate like an entrepreneur and play an active role in creating impact across all things we do. If you live and breathe startups, innovation, venture capital, and technology, and love to operate in a role where your marketing efforts can create an impact in these circles, then read on to find out more.
This role supports our accelerators, corporate innovation programmes, ecosystem development, and community engagement work and upholds our brand goals across our campaigns. This role cuts across marketing, brand, and comms activities, and while you may not necessarily have the full stack experience across digital marketing, brand development, content creation, design & creative, partner engagement, PR, and more, you will be expected to pick up these skill sets over time with our support.
While this is a managerial role, you won't have a team to manage from the onset, and that means you'll be pretty hands-on and there won't be writers, designers, and creators at your disposal straight away. We know what we've described sounds awfully daunting, and it seems like a lot for one person to manage. We don't expect you to be a rockstar from day one, and we're happy to work with you and help you grow into the role, but that means you should already have the right fundamentals and foundation and can demonstrate to us your potential to take this and run as far and as wild as you can with it. But trust us, we see this as an amazing opportunity to own a role, and for you to define the impact you can create.
Fit is everything. We're not looking for a marketing account manager who is only accustomed to working with big budgets and depends on agencies to get the job done. If that sounds like something you've been doing, and you've never written a copy in your life or understand the term guerilla marketing, you're probably not the right person for the job.
You have a passion for marketing, period. If you see a good campaign, you're curious about why it works and try to understand how it can be applied elsewhere. You thrive on creating new content and figuring out 1001 ways to market the same thing. You are excited by new trends and thrive on new projects.
You also understand that marketing is not about managing a Facebook page or getting likes/follows on an Instagram account. It's about working in tandem with our partners' objectives & innovation goals to get results, whatever the KPIs may be. The budget may sometimes be non-existent, but you'll creatively figure out ways to get the word out. When the budget is at your disposal, you understand how to maximise the dollar to get exponential results. If that's the kind of challenge you seek, read on more.
We're a small team, and that means occasionally (not all the time!) we pull late nights and weekends because we believe in our mission in driving impactful innovation and that our collective effort and commitment to the highest standard drives us to put in our best every day. If you're looking for a 9 to 5 and receiving work calls and messages after work sounds like harassment to you, click the X button on the top right-hand corner right away.
StartupX is an innovation, venture, and startup enabler.
We partner with leading corporations to collaborate with startups, run global programmes to help companies grow, build vibrant communities to support the next generation of founders, and help local governments build and develop thriving ecosystems.
Our initiatives are supported by a select group of over 250 mentors, investors, founders, and corporate leaders across Southeast Asia and beyond. Based in Singapore, we work with companies from all over the world with the goal to drive impactful innovation on a global scale.
How to Apply
To indicate your interest in this job opening, please fill-up the following form: https://forms.gle/pacUTAgVAU1iE23x9
We will get back to you as soon as possible! Kindly note that only applications sent through the form will be considered.
Because marketing has so many facets to it, you'll also be expected to manage most, if not all of it, over time. We understand that you may not be good at everything, but we believe that a good marketing manager must have an adequate understanding of the wide spectrum of marketing to be effective.
- Media channels: You will manage and curate the content on all our channels across the brands we own, and eventually dictate how each channel should be used and what purpose it should serve.
- Strategy: You will be responsible for building launch plans, strategise on outreach and design campaigns for our programmes, and set goals that will meet our partner objectives.
- Content creation: You will manage, create and distribute content across print & digital media in visual, audio, and video formats with the aim to educate, inspire and inform our audiences and get them to learn about what we do.
- Community & partner outreach: You will manage our partners and communities and build relationships to grow our network globally.
- Performance: You will measure campaign results and track analytics with the intent to learn and improve our marketing efforts, and be prudent with how we spend our marketing budget.
- PR & comms: You will liaise with our PR agency for all external comms and activities, and occasionally double up with our own PR efforts if required.
We don't care whether you have a degree in marketing, but marketing experience is a must. If your knowledge of marketing extends as far as having your own Instagram page and growing your own following, that's not quite what we're looking for. We care that you actually like and enjoy marketing things, and ideally have been on the content or creative side in a marketing agency, startup, or equivalent and have had the exposure of building up a brand or product in Southeast Asia.
- Communications: You should be a wizard at language, that means you know the difference between British and American English and can use them interchangeably as needed, you know your tenses and the appropriate usage of them, and you know when to use a casual tone and when to switch to formal.
- Creativity: You relish in being creative, and coming up with crazy ideas and pushing boundaries is your kind of thing. At the same time, you understand there are certain lines that cannot be crossed, and you can tell the difference between trashy marketing and viral marketing.
- Attention to details: You can spot a spelling error from a mile away, and you always proofread and double-check a copy before it goes live. Seeing a grammer error gives you a heart attack. If you didn't notice the eroors in this paragraph, try again.
- An eye for aesthetic: Perhaps your best experience with design extends as far as Canva, but what's more important for us, is that you have a decent sense of what looks good and what's not, and understand the difference between a serif and sans serif font.
- Curiosity: You are intrinsically motivated to learn. You are excited to learn about the startup ecosystem, new technology, sustainable innovation and want to find out what's new and how it will affect us.
- Multitask: This is a role that requires a lot of juggling and the ability to prioritise smartly. If handling more than one thing at a time causes you to stress, we understand, but wouldn't recommend you take up this role.
Services - Other
StartupX is an innovation, venture and startup enabler. We partner with leading corporations to collaborate with startups, run global programmes to help companies grow, build vibrant communities to support the next generation of founders and help local governments build and develop thriving ecosystems. Our initiatives are supported by a select group of over 250 mentors, investors, founders and corporate leaders across Southeast Asia and beyond. Based in Singapore, we work with companies from all over the world with the goal to drive impactful innovation on a global scale.
We are passionately curious about how the world and its people will live, play and work in the coming decades, and how technology and innovation will help shape some of these behaviours. We are mindful of the pressing challenges we face as a global population and strive to work with fellow innovators and conscious organisations to push for a better, more sustainable, and data-driven world.
Innovation means something different to everyone. Some people may have budding ideas that are ready to take flight, while others are looking to break new frontiers in their innovation journey. But what we know is this, we all need to keep moving forward if we want to innovate, and we need great people and talent to join us on this journey.
If you have great ambition, a willingness to learn and try, and then try some more, an appetite for challenges and a spirit for tackling problems head-on, you might be just the person we're looking for.
Ready to take the first step, and be part of a team that's reimagining a new future? We welcome you to join us and navigate this uncharted territory together.