mechanical engineering | electronics | embedded system | product development | CAD | leadership | management | engineering
Role mission and purpose:
The mission of the Product Engineering Manager is to help us make the best products possible and bring it to life.
He/she should do so by taking designs at the concept and prototype stage from the design team, and taking them through full engineering development, manufacturing, and launch in the market.
Key outcomes expected from this role:
- We are launching at least 1 new flagship product every year.
- New products that we develop meet all their requirements in spec, quality, reliability, manufacturability, cost, and development timeline.
- Engineering Manager exercises good judgement as to how to make effective tradeoffs between these considerations as necessary.
- We are moving faster - Seeing reduced product development cycle times (products go from concept to manufacturing in a shorter period of time compared to our past projects)
- We are innovating - Experimenting and utilizing new technologies, materials, manufacturing techniques, and processes
- You have a good working relationship with our design team. The engineering manager serves as an effective bridge to manufacturing such that the design team can focus on early stage design and less on later stage development.
- You have a good working relationship with our engineering team + manufacturing partners. They are effectively and efficiently managed by you.
Note that given the very early stage of the company that we are in, a high degree of adaptability is expected and required for this role. We are constantly learning new things and adapting our strategy and activities accordingly. Indeed, we see this as one of our key competitive advantages over the incumbents as it will allow us to try many more things and move much quicker than our competitors.
As such we expect this person to only look at this job description as a guideline. With just a handful of people in our company, we eschew roles and seek people willing and able to ignore job descriptions. Everyone’s job at Lumos is to do anything and everything we can to make it a success and meet our company goals regardless of our “jobs.”
Key skills and competencies we’re looking for:
- You have good engineering sense and intuition. You have experience building physical hardware products. You are exposed to several (if not all) of the following:
- Common manufacturing materials, processes, and techniques (eg. Injection molding, vacuum forming etc.)
- Mechanical design (eg. Working with CADders to design components to meet product requirements)
- Working with electronics and embedded systems
- Working with factories
- Liaising with mechanical and electrical engineers to develop a product
- Experience actually developing a product and taking it through manufacturing
- You have a degree in mechanical, electrical, or industrial engineering
- Management and leadership skills
- Ability to manage and lead an engineering and development team effectively
- Creative and determined engineering mindset and attitude
- Problems and challenges inevitably crop up in the development of anything new. We seek a candidate who has the ability to think of creative solutions to engineering problems (eg. Experimenting with new materials, techniques, or designs to meet the requirement and make the product better/more reliable/cheaper) and innovate out of the problem rather than compromise.
- You have an ability to work with engineers and suppliers to push the boundary of what is possible.
- DFM and design for cost - You know how to think creatively and strategically to make the product manufacturable at scale and meet cost targets.
- You enjoy learning about and experimenting with new processes, techniques, and technologies.
- Able to speak and write in both the English and Mandarin language (necessary to communicate with engineers and suppliers in China and the region)
- Highly organized and independent.
- You’re coachable. You seek and listen to feedback.
- 4+ years of experience as an engineer and/or engineering manager at a company that develops its own products. Experience with consumer electronics products preferred.
- Experience developing a new product and taking it through manufacturing
- See the “Key Skills” section above
- Some ability/familiarity/experience with CAD
- Some ability/familiarity/experience with mechanical design
- Some ability/familiarity/experience with electronics
- Energetic, focused with a positive attitude and able to work independently.
- Capable to handle multiple concurrent tasks and able to work under tight deadlines
- Detail oriented and organized. You’re a pro at managing and prioritizing the workload for yourself and your team.
- Passion for bikes is a huge plus.
- Interest in startups, entrepreneurship, and building things from the ground up is a plus as well.
- Experience managing a technical/engineering team
- Willingness and ability to travel to China once/month (post-pandemic of course)
Please submit your Resume/CV along with a statement of interest/cover letter.
Sports and Outdoors
OVERVIEWLumos is the world's first smart bicycle helmet with integrated lights, brake, and turn signals. Launched to the world on Kickstarter in 2015, Lumos raised over $800,000 in its campaign. Lumos is a mission-driven company. Started out of our dorm rooms at Harvard, we seek to make a positive impact on the world by helping make cycling safer, preventing avoidable traffic deaths, and helping more people everywhere make cycling a bigger part of their everyday lives. Join us in our mission to improve cycling safety and have safer streets for all.
Lumos's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transportation.
Lumos value qualities, skills, behaviors, attitudes, and attributes of our employees, we hire and promote people who demonstrate these values. By so doing, the intention is to inspire more of those behaviors, and create a self-reinforcing culture.